A confession



Take it as a confession - I started smoking a long way back . I’m not going to give any justification for those but, just, want to share a small incidence with you people.
.
I was not going to buy a whole pack of cigarette; thereby I particularly mentioned “Ek cigarette dena bhaia”...
I was asked “Kaunsi?”...
couldn't react primarily to the question ‘coz I didn’t understood what I was being asked for and secondly ‘coz I wanted to pretend that I was one of those cool smokers in this world who smoke a pack or two on a daily basis and also This ‘kaunsi’ reminded me a hell of things, I didn’t asked for any problem, I didn't asked for any misery, I didn’t asked my math teacher to fail me in the exam, I didn’t asked the girl whom I liked to chose someone else over me, I din’t asked my friend to fight with any teacher and to break his head and to get us expelled.  
... In the pursuit of pretentious behaviour I stood there in front of the person who was selling cigarettes...

I was asked again “Re kaun si re?”...
Now I was pretty sure of what I was being asked about but I wasn’t very confident about the answer that may keep my pretentious character to stand out... It was easy – Isn’t it?  You know so many brands of cigarettes no matter you are a smoker or not...

Among several brand names I recalled and said - “Choti Gold”...
Since beginning I’m not very good in vocabulary and there, at that point of time every word I said I pictured myself as a“dumb” – It seemed I was talking to myself.... And I just knew I wanted to smoke...
The person dressed in, I dunno how old, dirtied whitish brown lungi, and filthy black gunji gave me a cigarette and a match box... I asked “kitne hue?” to which the clumsy dark faced man replied “3 rs.” (Those were the days guys when choti gold was of three rupees)...I took my wallet out and gave him a 10 rupee note and got a 5 rupee coin and two “centre fresh” in return...

I took the stuffs and started walking... Obviously – though I din’t wanted to show that I was smoking first time but again obviously – very obviously I did contradictory... I searched for a safe place to smoke where no acquainted could see me doing what one must not be doing by all standards – smoking... I went to railway station and at the extreme right hand corner of last platform was an empty bench and I sat there. I knew it’s not good but besides my primary knowledge I also knew the fact that “being good wasn't a good thing anymore”... The thought was strong enough to make my finger push the container box of match box...

“Chissss” and the stick were on fire... I lit the cigarette’s end to put an end to my misery...

“Garbage in and nothing out- may be garbage remained inside”...

Yes I smoked... If you ask me how it was... Well, I can only say that did that, I smoked... Every puff that I took in and out was different... but I felt nothing... Nothing at all... I didn’t cough... My eyes didn’t turn red...

Towards the end when I took the last “puff” I felt that it was almost over and it was hot... I threw it on the moist platform and trampled it with my shining black shoes... I knew it ended...

But there could be no end to the misery of one’s life...But actually smoking ‘is’ the beginning of an ‘end’... Smoking is a process that will end smoker one day but not his miseries… running away from miseries and smoking or boozing on a platform or at a road side dhaba or in parking lot or at any theka will never ever give you solutions for your miseries but one day it will leave you with nothing but pain, deep inside, and now, physical too.

Now, it has been around two month since I smoked and when I think about those days, I laugh. Way back then those small pity issues looked so ‘defying’. Wait in life to get things happen, change, cured.

Misery has a “y” at its end...
Happy has a “y” at its end...

And we can never have answers for every ‘y’ of our lives. All we can do is to believe in good, do good, live life healthier.

As there is a saying in Hindi "स्वस्त  तन  में  स्वत्च  मन  का  वास  होता  है "

P.S :  Dear “LIFE” I feel like giving you a hug.  
Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Infringement Search Tool

Copyright,  © Jayendra Dubey, 1st Mar , 2012

Comments

Popular Posts